Fire broke out at the offices of Walnut Creek’s Meals on Wheels Saturday night but, as luck would have it, firefighters from nearby (next door) Station 1 sensed trouble after hearing building alarms and seeing smoke and went to investigate shortly after 11 p.m.
Crews following the sound of building alarms found smoke in the building at 1300 Civic Drive and spent several hours tracing the source of fire in the structure, even taking to the building’s attic spaces.
Local lensman Sean McDonough captured these and other images through the course of the incident.
The origin of the blaze was eventually traced to a faulty light panel. Offices are expected to remain closed while the organization assesses smoke, water, and other damage, but according to Caitlin Sly, Executive Director, meal deliveries will not be impacted.
“Since our meals are prepared and packaged at an off-site kitchen, our volunteers will pick up meals at our other pick-up sites around the County. We can ensure that all clients will receive their meals,” Sly wrote in a prepared release.
The fire was contained in a second-floor storage room and any structural damage appears minor.