Moraga-Orinda Fire Protection district firefighters battled fire at a home in the 200 block of Deerfield Drive in Moraga Sunday – believed sparked by a short-circuiting chicken coop heater.
The blaze, which appeared to have started in the area of the adjacent coop, spread to the roof and attic of a home at 275 Deerfield, and was reported at 11:25 a.m.
Neighbors sprang into action to knock down the blaze and firefighters quickly arrived to play their hoses over the residence.
Firefighters are still at the scene (12:58 p.m.) and police briefly closed Deerfield Drive at Tharp to facilitate the movement of firefighting apparatus.
There are no reports of injuries as of this writing.