From the Contra Costa County Office of Education:
PLEASANT HILL, Calif. — Contra Costa County Office of Education (CCCOE) is proud to recognize and celebrate six local student recipients of National Merit Scholarship Awards. These awards are sponsored by colleges and corporations as part of the 67th annual edition of the distinguished program.
CCCOE congratulates the following scholars on their outstanding academic achievements and awards:
- Lauren Chang, Monte Vista High School, San Ramon, CA – National Merit & Global Scholarship, Corporate Sponsored Merit
- Zachary A. Chin, El Cerrito High School, El Cerrito, CA – National Merit, Northeastern University Scholarship
- Genevieve deWitt Herron, Monte Vista High School, San Ramon, CA – National Merit, Vanderbilt University
- Troy C. Luhman, California High School, San Ramon, CA – National Merit, Purdue University Scholarship
- Gabriel Shen, California High School, San Ramon, CA – National Merit, University of Southern California Scholarship
- Katrina Wen Yin Lee, Dougherty Valley High School, San Ramon, CA – National Merit, University of Texas at Dallas Scholarship
“We are incredibly proud to have six students representing Contra Costa County as National Merit Scholarship winners,” Contra Costa County Superintendent of Schools Lynn Mackey said. “These awards are a testament to their hard work. They have balanced academic achievements with extracurricular activities during a national pandemic and have overcome many challenges outside of a normal school year. Thank you to the family members, teachers and community members who have supported these students and encouraged them throughout their academic journeys.”
Each award recipient submitted a detailed scholarship application, which included writing an essay and providing information about extracurricular activities, awards, and leadership positions. SAT or ACT scores were also factored into the judging, along with academic records, and recommendations from high school officials.
More than 16,000 Semifinalists from across the nation were named. Semifinalists make up the highest scores of applicants from each state and represent less than one percent of the nation’s seniors. Winners of the National Merit Scholarship awards have the strongest combination of academic skills and performance, extracurricular accomplishments, and potential for success in rigorous college studies. During the 2022 competition, more than 7,200 Finalists were selected to receive National Merit Scholarships totaling nearly $28 million.