Stunned onlookers reported seeing a man – apparently deliberately set ablaze – stumbling through the Lucky’s parking lot near Clayton Road in Concord Monday night.
Mark Bustamonte said he got a glimpse of the man and ran to help but that others were also running toward the man, who he said looked to be in his 60s. He said the man’s clothes had been fully ablaze but were out and smoking by the time he arrived.
“I tried to dial 9-1-1 but my hands were shaking so bad I couldn’t make the call,” he said. “I felt so bad.”
The incident was reported at 9:46 p.m.
Witnesses said the victim suffered serious burn injuries. Medical personnel at the scene said the man was awake and breathing but paramedics requested an air ambulance, which landed at Clayton Valley Charter High School before proceeding to U.C. Davis burn Center.
Witnesses told officers the man appeared to have deliberately set himself ablaze and that they had “put him out” with water and dampened blankets and towels.
Other small fires were also reported in the area where the incident occurred.