Hello News24/680.com Food followers:
Today, I present a spectacular French-Country dish I discovered in Central France. The flavors and texture of this preparation are remarkable. I have included a simple pan-sauce to complete the dish. Serve with roasted or mashed potatoes and a vegetable side. Incredible!
Roasted Chicken with Crème Fraîche, Herbs and Creamy Sauce à la Poêle
4 skin-on, bone-in chicken leg quarters
1 1/2 cups crème fraîche
2 shallots, finely minced
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 cup finely minced curly parsley, plus two tablespoons for garnish
2 tablespoons finely minced tarragon
2 tablespoons minced chives
1 tablespoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
For the Pan Sauce:
1 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup pan drippings
• Pre-heat oven to 375˚F and position a rack in the top 1/3 of the oven. Cover a 1/2 sheet pan with foil, set aside.
• Trim the chicken legs of excess fat and skin. Place them in a large mixing bowl.
• In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the crème fraîche, shallots, garlic, herbs and salt and pepper. Pour the cream mixture over the legs, and by hand, rub all over the chicken legs. Leave a thick layer of the herbed cream on the chicken, and transfer to the prepared sheet pan. Sprinkle the chicken with a bit more kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
• Place the sheet pan in the pre-heated oven and bake the chicken for 35 – 40 minutes and the chicken is well-browned.
• Meanwhile, prepare the vèloute sauce. In a small saucepan, heat the butter until melted, add the flour and whisk together to make a paste. Cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Add the chicken stock and whisk to combine. It should thicken slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
• When the chicken is done, remove from the oven. Carefully pour off the fat, juice, and any caramelized shallots, garlic and herbs from the sheet pan to the prepared vèloute sauce. Cover the chicken with a piece of foil to rest and keep warm. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of crème fraîche to the sauce and whisk to combine. Taste, and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, if necessary. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of minced parsley.
• Serve the chicken with a drape of the cream sauce.
© 2021, Epicurean Exchange. All rights reserved