Good Sunday, News24/680 readers!
I present to you an ultra-easy, but impressive and guest pleasing spring appetizer or first-course for your next gathering. Having been fully-vaccinated myself, I understanding that these occasions are happening more and more around the 24/680! Time to safely get together and share good times and great food! This would be a great start!
Wishing everyone well as we navigate our way back to normalcy!
– Chef Charlie
The perfect asparagus size (diameter of the stalks) for this recipe – we refer to this as “medium.” Not too thick, not too thin.
Spring Asparagus-Brie Tart
1 1/2 pounds medium (not pencil-sized) asparagus (approximately 24 spears), ends trimmed
1 sheet puff pastry
4 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons capers, or more to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Zest of one lemon
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus. If the asparagus spears are thicker than medium (approximately 1/2-inch in diameter), then cut the spears in half lengthwise.
• Place a sheet of parchment paper or a silpat on a half sheet pan (18 in x 13 in).
• Sprinkle a cutting board lightly with flour. Remove one sheet of frozen puff pastry from packaging, unfold and place on top of the floured surface. Allow pastry to thaw at room temperature, approximately 10 minutes.
• Use a rolling pin to gently roll out the pastry, to seal the creases and add to an additional 2-inches around the perimeter. Transfer the dough to the sheet pan by rolling up from the cutting onto the pin, and then position and roll out onto the sheet pan. Pinch the edges of the dough to create a crust.
• Place the cheese slices over the surface of the dough. Pour the beaten egg over the cheese and use a pastry brush to evenly spread the egg over the cheese.
• Lay the raw asparagus spears over the egg wash. Suggest cutting spears into lengths ½ the size of the pastry and place all the tips toward the outer edge.
• Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and sprinkle with the capers and Parmesan cheese.
• Just before you are ready to serve, place the tart in a pre-heated 375˚F oven for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden, and the asparagus and cheese are lightly browned.
• Remove from oven, top with freshly zested lemon. Cut into 12 portions and serve right away.
Serves 6 as an appetizer or first course.
© 2020, Epicurean Exchange. All rights reserved