Happy Mid-Summer News24/680.com followers!
Hard to believe we are at mid-July! It has been a long time since March 18. With my new ventures, the hours turn to days; days turn to weeks and the months are just… long.
I have been developing and testing a lot of new recipe ideas with our continued home-confinement. Particularly venturing into the best of American summer regional cooking. Admitting that much of what I am presenting are not original recipes, but rather inspired by others and altered and refined to reflect my personal style and taste.
I served these baked beans with my Mom’s BBQ chicken and potato salad which have both been posted previously. I suggest you make these all together for a true All-American summer meal!
Summer BBQ Baked Beans
1 pound bacon, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
1 onion, cut into a 1/2-inch dice4 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
2 – 28-ounce cans Bush’s Vegetarian Baked Beans
2/3 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Coleman’s dry mustard
Kosher salt, to taste.
2 scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
• Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the diced bacon and sauté until soft and lightly browned, 5 minutes. Remove 1/3 and reserve for garnish.
• To the bacon, add the onion, garlic and green pepper, and sauté stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft, 3 minutes.
• Add the beans and stir to combine. Add the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and dry mustard.
• Add kosher salt, to taste, and simmer for 8 – 10 minutes.
• Adjust balance to taste: sweet (brown sugar), tangy (vinegar), spicy (mustard) and salty (kosher salt).
• Transfer to a service bowl and garnish with reserved bacon and scallions.
© 2020, Epicurean Exchange. All rights reserved