(Martinez, CA) – The Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors is seeking applicants who are interested in serving on its 18-member Racial Justice Oversight Body (RJOB). The Racial Justice Oversight Body has a current vacancy for a Community Representative who has prior personal criminal or juvenile justice system involvement.
The RJOB is a multi-agency advisory body established by the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors to oversee the implementation of the recommendations made by the Racial Justice Task Force and accepted by the Board of Supervisors to reduce racial disparities in the justice system. The RJOB also reviews local criminal and juvenile justice data to identify and report on racial disparities.
The Racial Justice Oversight Body is composed of the following 18 members:
· Four (4) Ex‐Officio Members:
1. The Sheriff or his designee;
2. The Chief Probation Officer or her designee;
3. The Public Defender or her designee;
4. The District Attorney or her designee;
· Five (5) Other Appointed Members:
5. A representative from the Superior Court, as a non-voting member;
6. A representative from a local law enforcement agency, nominated by the Contra Costa County Police Chiefs’ Association;
7. A representative from the Contra Costa County Office of Education;
8. A representative from a Local School District;
9. A representative from Contra Costa County Health Services Department;
- Nine (9) community-based representatives selected and appointed by the Board of Supervisors:
10-11. Community Representative Seats 1 & 2: two (2) members of the Contra Costa Racial Justice Coalition;
12-13. Community Representative Seats 3 & 4: two (2) individuals with prior personal criminal or juvenile justice system involvement;
14. Community Representative Seat 5: one (1) representative from a community-based organization that works with justice-involved youth
15-16. Community Representatives Seat 6 &7: two (2) representatives from community-based organizations that work with justice-involved populations, any age;
17. Community Representative Seat 8: one (1) representative from a faith-based organization;
18. Community Representative Seat 9: one (1) representative that is either a school age young person, or from a community based organization who provides services to school age youth.
The Board of Supervisors is seeking applications for one (1) of the seats identified above:
ü Community Representative Seat 4: one (1) individual with prior personal criminal or juvenile justice system involvement.
Appointments to the Racial Justice Oversight Body are for a term of two years. The appointment to Seat 4 is a mid-term appointment ending December 31, 2020. The full RJOB meets on a quarterly basis with its three subcommittees meeting on a monthly basis. Members serve without compensation, stipends, or reimbursement of expenses. The community-based representatives should reflect the geographic, ethnic, and racial diversity of the County.
Applicants will be interviewed by the Board of Supervisors’ Public Protection Committee: Supervisors Candace Andersen, District II, and Federal Glover, District V. The nomination for the Racial Justice Oversight Body appointment will then be submitted to the full Board of Supervisors for action.
Below is a timeline of the recruitment process for the one (1) vacancy:
- July 21, 2020: Final Day of the Application Period, due by 5:00 p.m.
- July 27, 2020: Public Protection Committee Meeting: Interviews
- August 4, 2020: Board of Supervisors Appointment
Application forms can be obtained from the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors by calling (925) 335-1900 or by visiting the County webpage at http://www.contracosta.ca.gov/3418/. Completed applications should be emailed to ClerkoftheBoard@cob.cccounty.us. Applications can also be mailed to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, Room 106, County Administration Building, 651 Pine Street, Martinez, CA 94553.