Two children were treated at the scene after inhaling paint or sealant fumes during a regional swimming competition at Campolindo High School in Moraga.
Several ambulances were called to the scene shortly after the incident was reported at 9:10 a.m. Saturday. Moraga-Orinda Fire District firefighters and Moraga police quickly responded, sealing off much of the area and calling for a multi-casualty response after about a dozen children reported feeling dizzy and lightheaded from breathing the fumes.
Approximately 2,000 children were at the school to compete in a regional swimming meet, with several dozen in tented areas behind the pool. Race organizers promptly moved children from that area in response to several complaints of heavy paint fumes – apparently cast off by workers applying a sealant to the high school track just above the baseball field.
OMPA officials issued the following advisory, and kept children out of the area for the rest of the day on the advice of firefighters.