Fire investigators combing through the remnants of a home at 3070 Del Hombre Lane Thursday said they found evidence of the presence of homeless campers at the scene.
Contra Costa County Fire Protection District Captain George Laing said the precise cause of the 3:52 a.m. blaze has yet to be determined but that there were indications that the home – while officially vacant – had been used by the homeless in recent days.
Fire destroyed most of the single-story home on a large, overgrown lot and was heavily involved in smoke and flame when firefighters arrived on the scene. A second alarm was called due to the overgrown landscaping and potential for spread, Laing said, but was cancelled as firefighters were able to get the upper hand on the blaze.
Investigators said the house was “heavily damaged,” but a dollar figure has not yet been established. Neighbors said the home was in a state of obvious neglect. The owner of the property could not immediately be determined.